Mexican Jambalaya With Ruby Red Rice
2 cups Alter Eco Rice
4 cups chicken broth
4 Tbs butter or olive oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1 medium onion, medium dice
1 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
1 head of kale, chiffonaded
1 lb chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks (if veg, substitute seitan)
1 lb chorizo (if veg, vegan chorizo available)
2½ tsp chili powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 can black beans (with liquid)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
2 cups fresh or 1 can whole tomatoes with liquid
2 cups shredded jack cheese
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Cook Alter Eco Rice in chicken broth. Set aside.
- In separate large skillet, heat butter over medium
- Sweat onion, garlic, and peppers.
- Add chopped kale. Cook for 10 minutes over medium low.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan over medium heat, cook the chicken and chorizo with the spices until browned and mostly cooked through.
- Add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, cooked rice, and kale mixture to the chicken and chorizo.
- Add water if tomatoes don’t create enough liquid to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro and jack cheese on top and serve.
For more Alter Eco Cooking Shows and Recipes, Click Below:
Episode 1 - Quinoa Summer Salad
Episode 3 - Rainbow Quinoa Root Roast
Episode 4 - Spring Quinoa with Asparagus, Pea, and Pancetta Cream Sauce
Episode 5 - Red Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash