Chai Spiced Quinoa Porridge
Easy yet “exotic,” this is the way to spice up breakfast with a punch of protein
Recipe created by Chef Sita, Co-Host of An Organic Conversation
- ½ cup Alter Eco Organic Pearl Quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup organic milk, soy milk, or rice milk
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1. In a fine mesh colander, rinse the quinoa well under cool running water. Make sure to rinse it until the rinsing water runs clear to guarantee the bitter saponin that coats the grain is completely gone.
2. In a medium saucepan combine the quinoa, water, and pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in milk and spices, cover, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Spoon 1 cup of the porridge into a bowl. Serve hot or cold with a spoonful of Alter Eco’s Unrefined Ground Cane Sugar or with your favorite brand of pure maple syrup. Stir in extra milk for an even creamier porridge.