Pear, Walnut & Blue Cheese Salad with Thyme Dressing in Racicchio Cups
Even though this stunningly delicious salad is perfect for a late-summer or early-fall dinner party, it can be enjoyed at any time of the year. All white quinoa looks great, but to maximize the dramatic colors in this dish use Rainbow quinoa.
Created by Patricia & Carolyn, authors of the Quinoa Revolution Cookbook!
1 1/3 cups (325 mL) water
2/3 cup (150 mL) Alter Eco Royal Rainbow quinoa
6 Tbsp (90 mL) unsweetened apple juice
¼ cup (60 mL) white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp (45 mL) flaxseed oil or olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
Pinch of salt (optional)
2 to 3 ripe pears (Bartlett, Bosc or Anjou)
¼ cup (60 mL) walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
¼ cup (60 mL) crumbled blue cheese (gluten-free if required)
¼ cup (60 mL) sliced green onions
1 head radicchio
- Combine the water and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple juice, vinegar, oil, thyme and salt (if using).
- Peel the pears if the skin is thick. Core and dice the pears to make
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL). Add the pears to the dressing and gently toss to coat completely. Add the cooled quinoa, the walnuts, blue cheese and green onions. Toss gently.
- Just before serving, separate the radicchio leaves by cutting at the base of the head. Leaves that are 3 ½ to 4 inches (9 to 10 cm) across are the perfect size. Place one leaf on each plate and divide the salad between the cups. Serve immediately.