Pearl Quinoa Summer Salad
Mixed bell peppers, red onions, scallions, and a light summer vinaigrette make this dish perfect for easy entertaining and casual backyard dining. Its fresh flavors pair well with many of summer’s best. Great recipe to double for picnics and parties, or as a batch of quick sides for weeknights. But don’t let its light, almost fluffy texture fool you: quinoa packs a serious complete-protien and gluten-free punch, offering sustained energy for vegans and omnivores alike.
- 2 cups Alter Eco White Quinoa
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 each red & yellow bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup scallions sliced thinly on the diagonal, white & some of the green, ~ 4–5 scallions
- ¼ cup leaves of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ½–1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Place quinoa in a fine strainer and rinse it well by running fresh water through it until the water runs clear. In a saucepan, add the rinsed quinoa and toast until a nutty aroma is achieved, about 2 minutes; stirring constantly. Add the broth or water and gently simmer the rinsed quinoa for 15–20 minutes until the water is absorbed, stirring as little as possible. When the grains have become transparent and the spiral-like germ has separated, the quinoa is ready.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, dice the yellow and red bell peppers, and slice the scallions and set aside. To prepare dressing, in a small nonreactive bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, chopped parsley and tarragon; salt and pepper to taste.
3. When the quinoa has finished cooking,
gently combine peppers, scallions, and liquid mixture. Serve cool or at room temperature.