Gluten Free Almond Butter Chocolate Spider Cookies
These little delights are the perfect treat for your Halloween party and can be made with any Alter Eco truffle flavor! If you’re feeling creative, sub in your favorite cookie recipe (you really can’t go wrong with cookies and truffles).
Inspired by aspicyperspective.com
1 Cup Almond Butter (room temperature)
3/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla (optional)
1 tsp Baking Soda
6 ounces / 170 g of Blackout Chocolate
Candy Eyes (Can substitute mini marshmallows or anything eye-like)
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8 x 10 baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl mix together the egg and the brown sugar until there are no clumps left. Add in the Almond Butter, vanilla and baking soda. Stir until completely combined.
Note: Cooking with Almond Butter can be a little tricky. Unlike peanut butter, it separates at room temperature. Make sure to mix it well before adding it to the rest of the ingredients, otherwise the cookies could come out oily.
2) Freeze the dough for 15-20 minutes. This is very important as it will help the cookies maintain their shape. Remove from freezer and roll the dough into 1 inch balls. This recipe should make about 16 cookies.
3) Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes depending on desired chewiness. Remove from oven and using a teaspoon (or anything circular, roughly the size of the truffle) make an indent in the center of each cookie. Allow the cookies to cool completely before adding the truffles to prevent a melty chocolately mess.
4) While the cookies are cooling, melt the Blackout bar over a double broiler. Once melted, transfer to a plastic bag and allow it to slightly harden up (if it’s too runny it will be difficult to use).
5) Once the cookies have cooled completely, unwrap the Salted Caramel Truffles. Take your plastic bag with the melted Blackout bar and cut a small hole in one corner. Dab a small amount of melted chocolate on the bottom of each truffle to ‘glue’ them to the hollowed out center of the cookies. Use the remaining melted chocolate to create eight spider legs on each cookie and stick the eyes to the tops of the truffles.
6) Try not to devour immediately.