Sweet Spring Quinoa Salad with Ramp and Rhubarb Dressing by The Healthy Apple
“It’s a nice array of fresh fruit, quinoa and veggies atop a delicate bed of Bibb lettuce…This dish is one that I find myself going back for ‘just one more bite’ after I’ve cleaned the table and washed the dishes. Somehow a fork magically gets pulled out of the drawer and I kinda pick out a few pieces and pop them into my mouth.”
–Amie Valpone, The Healthy Apple
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups red quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup Daikon radish, shredded
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 red delicious apple, sliced
- 1 pint orange cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup Pomi strained tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup salted pistachios
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (or honey)
- 1/3 cup green tea, brewed
- 4 stalks rhubarb, sliced
- 2 ramps, sliced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup flax oil
- Assemble the first eight salad ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- For dressing: In a medium sauce pan, stir together agave nectar and brewed green tea; bring to a boil; add rhubarb and ramps. Boil for 4 more minutes; stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer; add apple cider vinegar and cook for another 12 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half and rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat; set aside to cool.
- Transfer rhubarb mixture to a food processor with remaining dressing ingredients; pulse until smooth. Serve warm or chilled atop salad.
- Top with a dollop of pumpkin, a drizzle of strained tomato sauce and a sprinkle of pistachios.