Black Quinoa with Mixed Berries, Black Currants & Yogurt
A light dessert with a sophisticated flavor and a dramatic appearance. Created by Patricia and Carolyn of the Quinoa Revolution Cookbook!
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Alter Eco Royal Black Quinoa
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh raspberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh blackberries
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) organic Mascobado cane sugar
- 1 ½ cups (325 mL) low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) pure maple syrup
- 5 Tbsp (75 mL) Ribena black currant concentrate or 3 Tbsp (45 mL) crème de cassis + 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- Bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine the quinoa, 1 ½ cups (375 mL) of the raspberries an ¾ cup (175 mL) of the blackberries in a medium bowl. Sprinkle on the cane sugar and toss gently. Set aside for about 5 minutes to draw out the juices.
- In another bowl, stir together the yogurt, maple syrup and blackcurrant concentrate until combined. Spoon the fruit mixture into 4 dessert bowls. Divide the yogurt on top of each serving and garnish with the remaining raspberries and blackberries. Serve chilled.
*** For a yummy alternative, try this recipe with 2 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced.