Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls
Anyone else meticulously planning Christmas morning breakfast? Dinner gets most of the love, but don't sleep on the most important meal of the day! These yummy Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls are the perfect way to wake up this Xmas.. so whip up a batch! Made in partnership with About to Sprout.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110F bath water, not boiling)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar/any granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted + 2 tablespoons to brush on rolls before oven
- 1/2 cup warm non-dairy milk
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 egg, room temp
- 3 - 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar/raw sugar for right before baking
- Chocolate Pecan Butter Filling
- Candied Pecans for filling and topping
- Shaved Chocolate for topping
Chocolate Pecan Pie Butter Filling
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 Alter Eco 85% Deep Dark Blackout Bar, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, chopped into pieces
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar/any granulated sugar works!
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon turbinado/raw sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (don’t skip!!)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- To make the dough: Add yeast and sugar into a stand mixer with the dough hook attached. Then add warm water and stir gently. Let sit until yeast has puffed up and foamy on top, about 10 minutes.
- To the bowl, add vegan butter, non-dairy milk, pumpkin, and egg. Give it a light stir with a spatula to just combine. Add in the flour, 1 cup at a time, cinnamon and salt. Knead the dough with the dough hook on low-medium about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and forms a ball. Remove the dough from the bowl and place in a clean oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Make the chocolate pecan butter: Preheat oven to 325F and evenly spread out pecans on a lined pan. Bake for about 6 minutes, tossing once and watching closely so they don’t burn. Remove from oven and cool for 1 minute, then add into a food processor. Process pecans until completely smooth, about 3 minutes. Add in chopped Alter Eco 85% Deep Dark Blackout Bar and process until the chocolate has melted. Add cocoa powder, spices and maple syrup and pulse until just combined. Taste for sweetness and add 1-teaspoon maple syrup and pulse to just combine. Don’t pulse too long or the oil will separate and the butter will seize up. Add pecan butter to jar until ready to use in cinnamon buns.
- Make candied Pecans: In a small bowl, stir together coconut sugar, spices, and water until combined. In a small pan over medium-high heat, add pecans. Stir constantly for 2 minutes until they become fragrant. Reduce heat to medium and add cinnamon sugar mixture. Constantly stir to coat all pecans. Transfer mixture onto parchment paper and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Cool to room temperature until the coating is hard and
- Generously grease a 9×13 inch baking dish or an 8-inch cake pan with vegan butter or parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surfaced, roll the dough into a rectangle (about 9×24 inches). Spread all of your chocolate pecan pie butter evenly over the dough. Sprinkle a little less then half of your candied pecans over the pecan butter. Feel free to add as little or as many inside the dough.
- Starting with the long edge closest to you, carefully roll the dough into a log, keeping it tight as you go. When you reach the edge, pinch along the edge to seal the dough off. Using a sharp knife, cut dough log into 10 smaller rolls or 8 large rolls. About 1 inch thick is what I prefer!
- Place rolls in your prepared pan and cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size again, about 30 minutes.
- Make icing: In a bowl, combine powdered sugar, vegan butter, vanilla and non-dairy milk until smooth and set aside until ready to ice buns.
- Preheat oven to 350 and just before baking buns, brush with additional melted vegan butter and a sprinkle of turbinado sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. I prefer to bake on the lower end because I like a gooey, slightly under baked center
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly, then top with icing, candied pecans and shaved Alter Eco Chocolate! Enjoy!