Quinoa Apple Strudel Breakfast Bowl
We love a warm and healthy bowl of oatmeal in the morning, but wanted to give this 'tried and true' breakfast staple an update. Replacing your oats with Alter Eco Pearl Quinoa gives your breakfast bowl not only a light and nutty taste, but an added boost of magnesium and protein.
Recipe developed with Kris Kelly of Goofy Foot Foods.
- 2 cups Alter Eco Royal Pearl Quinoa, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 apples, diced
- ¼ cup organic raisins
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp high quality sea salt
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 TBS fair trade Mascobado Cane Sugar
- 1 TBS golden flax meal
- 1 TBS vegan butter, melted (or substitute coconut oil)
- Optional: Real Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Using a medium size bowl, combine chopped pecans, flaxseed meal, 1 tsp cinnamon, one pinch of sea salt, and 1 TBS melted vegan butter. Mix thoroughly with a fork.
- Place mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes. (careful not to let the nuts burn)
- Using a large heavy-bottom saucepan, add quinoa, 3 cups water, diced apples, organic raisins, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
Divide warm quinoa mixture into 4 large serving bowls. Sprinkle with Strudel Cinnamon Crumble. Top with almond milk and serve with a side of real maple syrup.