Thanksgiving Quinoa Stuffing
Thanksgiving is a time for family, friends, and food. However, it seems like every year over-eating inevitably sneaks into this wholesome mix. This year, if you want to avoid some of the empty carbs, try this delicious stuffing alternative. Avoid the bread and butter and try this recipe filled with quinoa, butternut squash, zucchini and cranberries. You'll thank yourself later with this tasty gluten-free and vegan stuffing!
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups Alter Eco Pearl Quinoa
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Boil 4 cups water; season with bay leaves and salt. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes, until quinoa absorbs water. Remove from heat; remove bay leaves and let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Sauté zucchini and squash — season with salt and pepper — until slightly browned. Combine vegetables and quinoa in separate bowl.
- Combine green onions, apricots, cranberries, parsley, and mint in the same frying pan with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and cook for about 5 minutes. Grate in lemon peel and squeeze on lemon juice to taste.
- Combine all ingredients, season with salt and pepper.