Vegan Chocolate Orange Fudge Cake
Whether you're planning a birthday party or back to school bash, homemade cakes are always a must. This Chocolate Orange Fudge Cake is vegan, gluten free and free of all major allergens. Thanks to the talented Peanut Head for the recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp gluten free flour mix (I use Bob's Red Mill GF flour mix)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (approximately 3 oranges)
- 1/4 cup orange zest
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1 1/4 cups Lakanto golden monk fruit sweetener
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup raw cacao (I use Navitas Organics)
- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 227g container of Kite Hill Almond Cream Cheese (or if you're fine with Soy, Tofutti is also a good option)
- 1/2 cup Soy Free Margarine ( I use Earth Balance)
- 1 bar of Alter Eco Super Blackout
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (I use Navitas Organics)
- 1/4 cup orange zest + 2 tbsp for dusting
- 1 cup lakanto golden monk fruit sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease down 2 9" cake tins, while also laying 2 thin strips of baking paper across each other to create an easy pull out tab - set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk your almond milk with the apple cider vinegar, and leave for a few minutes to activate.
- Once slightly bubbly, transfer mixture to a large blender and add in your coconut oil, orange juice, apple sauce, sweetener and vanilla. Blend together until foamy.
- Pour foamy mixture back into your mixing bowl and sift in your dry ingredients (cacao, gf flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Mix vigorously, until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Lastly, stir in your orange zest then evenly pour cake batter into your 2 prepared cake tins. * A tip to keep it even is to place 1 cup at a time in each until you run out of mixture.
- Bake in the middle rack for 30-34 minutes
- While your cake is baking it's time to prepare your frosting. In a double boiler, gently melt down your chocolate, stirring carefully so as not to burn.
- Once melted, pour into a blender and add in your cream cheese, vegan margarine, cacao, orange zest and sweetener. Blitz until all ingredients are mixed well and you have a smooth and silky looking frosting. Set aside for when your cakes are cooked and cooled.
- After 30 minutes , check on your cake, when a toothpick is inserted in the middle, it should come out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing from the cake tin. Place cakes on a wired cooling rack until cooled completely.
- Once cakes are completely cooled, place the first one on your cake stand (or use a large plate), frost the top ensuring you have an even layer
- Place your second cake on top and cover the top and sides in more frosting, there should be exactly the right amount of frosting to cover both cakes.
- Dust with more orange zest and dot with an optional added extra; vegan chocolate covered almonds.
- Serve and Enjoy!