Vegan Salted Chocolate Sticky Buns
These tender buns are rolled up with cinnamon sugar and chunks of salted chocolate, and then baked over a layer of caramel-drenched pecans. Bake them up the day you need them, or let them hang out in the fridge overnight and bake in the morning for a decadent treat at breakfast. Made in collaboration with Bronwyn of Crumbs and Caramel.
For the Dough:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp dry active yeast
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (e.g. soy)
1/2 cup refined coconut oil
1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the Filling:
1/3 cup vegan butter (not tub style), or refined coconut oil
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 bars (160 g) Alter Eco Deep Dark Sea Salt Organic Chocolate
For the Pecan Caramel Layer:
2 cups pecans, roughly chopped
1/4 cup vegan butter (not tub style)
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tbsp coconut cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the Dough: In a small saucepan over low heat, bring the milk and coconut oil to 110-115°F (if it gets too hot, let the temperature come down or it will kill the yeast.) Stir in the vanilla.
- In a large bowl with a wooden spoon or in the bowl of a stand-mixer with a dough hook attachment, mix the flour, sugar, yeast and salt together. Slowly stream in the warm milk and oil mixture. If using a stand mixer, run it on a medium-low setting for about 10 minutes. If doing it by hand, remove the dough from the bowl and on a lightly oiled surface with oiled hands, knead it for about 10 minutes. The dough will be soft and a bit sticky.
- Wash out the bowl and oil it. Form the dough into a ball, place it in the bowl and turn it over so both sides are oiled. Lightly cover and let it rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until about doubled in size.
- For the Filling: Melt the vegan butter in a small microwavable bowl. Mix in the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- For the Caramel Pecan Layer: Line a 9”x13” baking pan with parchment paper. Scatter the pecans evenly over the bottom.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the vegan butter. Whisk in the brown sugar, and coconut cream. Turn the heat up to medium, bringing the mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla. Pour over the pecans.
- To Assemble the Rolls: On a lightly oiled surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle about 20 x 14". Spread the cinnamon sugar mixture over the dough, then scatter the chopped chocolate evenly over the sugar layer.
- With the long end closest to you, roll the dough away from you. When finished, push the roll over a bit so the seam is facing down. Using a very sharp knife, cut the roll into 12 even pieces. Place the rolls into the prepared pan cut side down. Cover lightly and place in a warm spot for 30-60 minutes, or cover tightly and place in the fridge overnight. Preheat the oven to 350°F if baking right away.
- Uncover the rolls, place them in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until browned on top and a toothpick inserted into a doughy part comes out clean. (If they were in the fridge overnight, take the pan out to sit on the counter while the oven preheats.) Remove from the oven, let cool for 1 minute before inverting onto a platter. Keep left overs in an airtight container.