Red Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash with Goat Cheese and Cranberries
1 large acorn squash
1 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt & pepper to taste
1 cup Alter Eco Red Quinoa
Veggie stock for quinoa
2 shallots, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups chopped red and yellow peppers
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
3/4 cup toasted pecans
sage, to taste
cayenne, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Cut your acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
3. Brush the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in a lightly oiled baking dish and put into the oven.
While squash is baking, prepare the stuffing:
4. Cook quinoa.
5. In a large pan over medium heat, saute shallots, garlic and peppers in olive oil. Cook until onions are translucent & all ingredients are starting to brown up a bit.
6. Add cooked quinoa to shallot mixture in pan and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat and put into a large bowl.
7. Add cranberries, basil and pecans to the quinoa mixture and stir well. Add a sprinkling of sage and cayenne, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a squirt of lemon.
8. After 45 minutes, remove the squash from the oven and pack the stuffing into the cavity. Cook another 15 minutes with stuffing inside.
When squash is very soft when pierced with a fork, and starts to turn a little golden brown around the edges, remove from oven and sprinkle goat cheese on top. Serve immediately.
For more Alter Eco Cooking Shows and Recipes, Click Below:
Episode 1 - Quinoa Summer Salad
Episode 2 - Mexican Jambalaya
Episode 3 - Rainbow Quinoa Root Roast
Episode 4 - Spring Quinoa with Asparagus, Pea, and Pancetta Cream Sauce