Black Quinoa and Summer Squash Sauté
Inspired by the recent Bon Appetit magazine Summer Squash Sauté recipe. With all the bright yellow summer squash and dark green zucchini found in farmers market and supermarket aisles lately, this recipe looked like a great summer staple. And Alter Eco black quinoa is the perfect added veggie protein to keep this recipe light and healthy.
- 1 cup black quinoa
- 2 lbs summer squash and zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions
- Toast pine nuts in large dry skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to plate, let cool.
- Heat olive oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add squash and zucchini and cook, tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Fold in parmesan. Fold in pine nuts.
- Combine quinoa and squash mixture and serve.