Sweet Potato Pie with Quinoa Crust
Satisfy your Thanksgiving sweet tooth with this simple and delicious sweet potato pie with a protein-packed quinoa crust.
2 cups cooked Royal Rainbow Quinoa
1⁄2 cup organic all-purpose flour (or sub a gluten free flour)
2 TBSP ground flax
4 TBSP butter (or sub vegan butter)
4 TBSP dark amber maple syrup
4 cups sweet potato (approx 2 medium sweet potatoes)
1 cup vanilla almond milk
3⁄4 cups pure Mascobado Cane Sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp ground cloves
1⁄4 tsp ground ginger
2 eggs (or sub vegan eggs)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Boil in water to soften — approximately 20 minutes. Drain the water and put the sweet potatoes in a medium mixing bowl.
- Prepare the crust by stirring the cooked quinoa, flour, flax, and maple syrup together.
- Fold in the room-temperature butter. Be sure to combine evenly.
- Grease a pie plate with coconut oil or non-stick spray. Press the quinoa crust into a pie plate.
- Bake the empty pie crust for 10 minutes.
- Add the almond milk to the cooked sweet potatoes and use an immersion blender to puree.
- Add remaining ingredients to the sweet potato mix and mix well.
- Pour the filling into pre-baked quinoa crust.
- Bake for one hour, or until a knife comes out clean.
- Be sure to check on the crust partway through to make sure it’s not burning. If it’s browning too fast, add foil around the edges to protect it.