Nutty Chocolate & Caramel CupsMarch 03 2016
A new twist to a long time classic. With the addition of cashew butter, toasted pumpkin seeds and crushed pistachios these nutty chocolate and caramel cups will be a new favorite in the household.
Thanks to The Movement Menu for working with us on this yummy recipe. Check out her blog for more delicious recipes.
Prep Time: 30 minutes, Serves: 12
- 2 ½ cups (450 g) roughly 5 Alter Eco Dark Blackout bars broken into small chunks and split in two portions
- 1/2 cup (90 g) cashew butter or peanut butter
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp (43 g) coconut oil, at room temperature (if it is liquid, you will want to stick it in the refrigerator for a few minutes until it turns solid)
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (24 g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (28 g) pistachios, crushed
- 1/3 cup (40 g) raw pumpkin seeds
- Sea salt crystals and crushed pistachios, for dusting
- Line a mini cupcake pan with 24 parchment liners.
- Melt 1 1/4 cups (225 g) of the chocolate chunks. You can either use a double boiler or heat them in a bowl in the microwave for 45 seconds at a time, stirring after each interval. Drop 1 tsp of the melted chocolate into each liner. Now, smooth the chocolate up the sides of the liner with the back of a small spoon. Place the tray into the freezer for about 10 minutes to set.
- Add 1 tsp of the cashew butter into each chocolate cup.
- Return the tray to the freezer. Heat a skillet over low heat and toast the nuts. Toss them over the heat for 3-5 minutes, until they turn slightly golden. Remove from heat.
- Grab a medium sized saucepan, and combine the coconut sugar and maple syrup over a medium-high flame. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Now, add the toasted nuts and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes until the mixture reaches between 240-250°F (116-121°C). Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut oil and vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Take the tray out of the freezer, and distribute the mixture between the chocolate cups. Melt the remaining chocolate chunks (another 1 1/4 cups [225 g]) and cover the candy with it. Now, sprinkle the tops with some course sea salt and crushed pistachios. Let them harden in the refrigerator for 1 hour, and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.