Brown Butter & Red Berry Crisp with Chocolate DrizzleAugust 24 2021
This crisp takes advantage of the juiciest and sweetest summer fruits – strawberries and cherries. Brown butter provides a rich depth of flavor to the gluten-free oat crumble topping, and a generous drizzle of melted chocolate takes the finished product over the top! Use local berries for peak flavor, texture, and planet-friendliness.
- ¾ cup oat flour
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (brown sugar works too)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup salted grass-fed butter (if your butter is unsalted, add a pinch of sea salt)
- 6 cups mixed fresh strawberries + pitted cherries, halved
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 heaping tablespoon arrowroot powder (tapioca or cornstarch work too)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ bar Alter Eco Brown Butter dark chocolate
- Vanilla ice cream to serve (regular or vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut butter into cubes and place in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Let the butter cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Keep heat to a low simmer and scrape all the browned bits from the bottom of the saucepan. The finished butter should be light golden brown in color and smell very fragrant and nutty.
- Remove from the heat once browned, pour it in a medium bowl and place in the freezer.
- Place berries in a large bowl. Add the maple syrup, lemon juice, arrowroot or other starch, and vanilla and stir to evenly coat the fruit. Pour the fruit mixture into a large pie plate or casserole dish (about 10”).
- Remove the browned butter from the freezer and add the oat flour, rolled oats, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt, if using. Stir until you have a crumble mixture, then sprinkle it evenly over the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the fruit is nice and bubby and the crispy topping is just starting to brown. While the crisp bakes, melt your chocolate in a double boiler (or microwave).
- Remove crisp from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle the top evenly with melted chocolate, top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy warm or at room temperature.