Quinoa Salad with Summer Veg & Basil VinaigretteAugust 02 2021
Grilled summer vegetables, a fresh basil-infused dressing and protein-rich rainbow quinoa come together in this hearty and flavorful salad, a climate-friendly dish that’s perfect for a potluck, an outdoor picnic or alongside a delicious BBQ.
For the salad:
- 1 cup Alter Eco Organic Rainbow Heirloom Quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth (or a mix)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 ears of corn, kernels sliced off
- 1 yellow zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 green zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter (or vegan substitute)
- Sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Handful of toasted nuts or seeds for topping, if desired
- Fresh herbs for topping, if desired
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
- Fresh black pepper
- Add quinoa, water or broth, and salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet (or grill if you have one) over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, tomatoes, and salt to taste Cook for 3-4 minutes until they are just starting to soften, then add your corn kernels and butter. Cook the mixture until the tomatoes are charred and bursting and the corn is deep golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove mixture from the pan and place in a large bowl.
- To the same pan, add another tablespoon of olive oil, zucchini slices, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes per side, or until each side is nicely browned. Remove the slices from the pan and place in the same bowl.
- Add the final tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan with the onion chunks and a big pinch of sea salt. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring, until the onions are charred. Remove and add to the bowl.
- Make the vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blending until smooth. Taste and add more salt or lemon if needed.
- Reserve a few pieces of your grilled veg for topping if desired, then mix quinoa into veggies.
- Pour the vinaigrette overtop, reserving a few spoonfuls for topping, and toss to combine.
- Top with nuts/seeds and herbs if using and serve at room temperature.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Did you know that frozen vegetables retain most of their nutrients since they are frozen at peak freshness? This recipe can be made with thawed frozen veggies instead of fresh for a taste of summer any time of the year.